The Hitchhiker Collection
Take out your needles and celebrate! Martina Behm's iconic Hitchhiker Shawl is ten years old, and it has brought all of its friends to the party.
The original Hitchhiker design is that perfect combination of easy, but also engaging knitting. It requires just knit stitches, an increase and casting off, but yet is fun and interesting to knit. With over 33,000 projects on Ravelry, its popularity is undisputed. If you haven't knitted one, then you are in for a treat.
The Hitchhiker Collection contains 20 shawl designs, all based on the innovative bias construction of the original Hitchhiker shawl. Whether you fancy soothing garter stitch, a bit of lace or some interesting construction, this collection has lots of gorgeous patterns to charge your needles with enthusiasm.
The patterns include a number of photo tutorials for interesting techniques and constructions.
One of the best things about many of these designs, is that you can continue knitting almost until you run out of yarn. They are very flexible in terms of using the quantity of yarn you have available, and are perfect for a special skein of hand-dyed yarn.
Below is the yarn quantity information for each design. They range from light 4ply to DK weight yarns, and we have a number of beautiful yarns available to accompany the patterns in this book (see below).
- Hitchhiker – features a sawtooth edge on one side (100g/366m of 4ply/fingering weight yarn)
- Hope & Confidence (NEW) – buttonhole patterned band at one end (110g/366m of 4ply/fingering weight yarn)
- Bunny & Claire (NEW) – triangular blocks of simple intarsia in two colours (100g/520m of 4ply/fingering weight yarn in each of two colours)
- Treehiker (NEW) – leafy textured pattern (200g/440m of 4ply/fingering weight yarn)
- Trillian – has a simple lace border (100g/420m of 3ply/light fingering weight yarn)
- Magrathea – a deeper lace border looking a little like leaves (450g/1050m of light DK/sport weight yarn)
- Lintilla – gently ruffled edge (200g/800m of 4ply/fingering weight yarn)
- Brickless – alternating bands of simple lace, garter stitch and rib (226g/512m of DK weight yarn)
- Naiada – a simple allover lace pattern (200g/500m of DK weight yarn)
- Knit Your Love – a beautiful heart border (100g/400m of 4ply/fingering yarn)
- Samadhi – wavy edge with a smart cord-like edging (100g/450m of 3ply/light fingering weight yarn)
- Leftie – a 2-colour shawl with stripes and leaf-like shapes (200g/820m of 4ply/fingering weight main colour and 100g/400m of 4ply/fingering weight contrast colour – could be mini-skeins)
- Jasminde – simple geometric lace pattern (100g/500m of light 4ply/light fingering weight yarn)
- Heaven & Space – simple knit-purl texture pattern that gives a 3D effect (2 skeins of Fyberspates Scrumptious 4ply)
- Baltic Summer – garter stitch chevron pattern (100g/405m of 4ply/fingering weight yarn)
- Buds and Bumbles – simple bud stitch pattern that gives the appearance of lace (100g/420m of 4ply/fingering weight yarn)
- Knitters' DNA – a twisted double-helix-like edging (200g/620m of light DK/sport weight yarn)
- Miss Winkle – looped edging on a garter stitch shawl (110g/366m of 4ply/fingering weight yarn)
- Halley – zigzag lace (150g/645m of light 4ply/light fingering weight yarn)
- Tivoli Gardens – delicate bands of garter stitch and ruched sections (100g/425m of light 4ply/light fingering weight yarn)
Light 4ply/light fingering weight yarn:
Coop Knits Socks Yeah! 4ply (slightly marled colours)
4ply/fingering weight yarn:
Schoppel Zauberball (slow colour change)
Schoppel Zauberball Crazy (2 plies of different colours, each slowly changing colour)
Fyberspates Scrumptious 4ply (solid colours, super soft, high sheen due to silk content)
Light DK/sport weight yarn:
Stolen Stitches Nua (heathered appearance due to different fibres taking dye differently)
DK weight yarn:
Schoppel Gradient (slow colour change)
Fyberspates Vivacious DK (semi-solid, hand-dyed yarn)
Coop Knits Socks Yeah! DK (slightly marled colours)
All images © Martina Behm.